Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Being Selfish Selfless

Last week was very much a learning experience.

It is not all about me.

Hopefully I speak for most when I say I am guilty of occasionally thinking it is. Last child syndrome, or just being a human in general?

Something doesn't go our way, and instead of thinking through every reason why, it instantly puts a chip on our shoulder. What? How does this happen to me? Everything bad only happens to me? Are you paying attention to me? See? It isn't pretty, but I am guilty.

I wear my emotions for the world to see. I sure wouldn't be blogging this if I didn't.  And that's where this problem lies. For example, work last week was trying in a way that most people who don't work in health care don't see often. Death looms over the hospital, because that's what happens when people are sick. There are many outcomes, sometimes death is one of them.

That may never come easy for me. So when we are expected to deal with it in such a timely manner and move throughout the day with a happy smile, the lines get blurry because our eyes are still pretty teary. There goes the emotions.

But it's not all about me. I didn't lose a family member, a brother, a sister, husband or wife. Someone's trials just got a little more tricky and someone's world became a little darker. I wonder how they feel? I know how I feel and I've only known them a day. I can't even begin to imagine your heartache. Well I could, but now isn't the time for me to dwell on my life, right now it isn't all about me.

We hear some extremely heart breaking news about a beautiful wife, and it's like really? The week couldn't have ended more terribly. How much more can one emotional heart on the sleeve wearer take? Considering I don't have those life decisions right in front me, hopefully a lot. It's not all about this girl.

I had a long talk with my mom because she recently lost a dear friend to cancer. My heart breaks for those who have to say good bye one last time not knowing whether or not their loved will wake up to see the next morning. I am so mad because how can I be so selfish? A family is holding on with all they have to make it to Christmas, so it is definitely not all about me.

Although I have struggles, others have far greater hurdles to jump over in the days and weeks and months to come.

Last week was definitely a learning one.
I am learning that being selfless is more beautiful than being selfish. And I will say my Daddy tops the list at number one Dads.

Talk about being selfless and stepping in without question. Thank you so much for everything last week. I know you read my "blooog" and I could never tell you enough what an awesome Dad you are. Thank you for being selfless, and for being my Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...